Still enormously useful and current is A Review of Intermediate Ecumenical Life in England (2011). This valuable document reflects on all aspects of the life of an Intermediate Body and can be used easily for reflection or review of the vitality of Intermediate Bodies. Downloads are below.
The review group interviewed County Ecumenical Officers and others and analysed material from two online surveys. The report describes the various origins of the Intermediate Bodies and their subsequent developments and the ways in which they network between their partner Churches. Appendices gather together the information on which the report is based, including the surveys.
In presenting the report, Bill Snelson, convenor of the review group, emphasised that Intermediate Bodies are firstly ‘visible signs’ of the Churches’ commitment to Christ and each other and, secondly, instruments for the Churches to proclaim the Gospel together by common witness and service in their localities. The report notes that the present state of Intermediate Bodies is ‘the result of a changing scene – the desire for lighter structures, reduced human and personal resources, the tension between mission and unity, the increased profile of other faith communities, the more varied and diverse nature of Christian communities, and an accountability culture’.
Other helpful resources
- A short and less current reflection paper on Intermediate Bodies is Between the Local and the National, offering review pointers for Intermediate Bodies (IBs). It’s still worth a read and can be downloaded below.
- View various IB review reports, in particular the introduction to the Birmingham review and the Kent review.
- More out of date, since it was written in 1995, but with much useful information – especially in its reflection on the way Intermediate Bodies developed – is This Growing Unity: a handbook on ecumenical development in the counties, large cities and new towns of England.
- ppt A Review of Ecumenical Life 2011: PowerPoint introduction
- pdf A Review of Intermediate Ecumenical Life in England August 2011: the complete text, no hyperlinks (PDF)
- doc A Review of Intermediate Ecumenical Life in England August 2011: the complete text, with hyperlinks (Word)
- pdf Between the local and the national