Saturday 20 January 2024 – 10am to 4.30pm at Gateway Church, Saint Mark’s Road, Leeds LS2 9AF.
Churches Together in England is delighted to partner with the Gather Movement and the Bible Society to present this event exploring what a city intercultural church could look like.
The event will be relevant to practitioners working in this context and those interested in its opportunities and challenges.
“Building intercultural churches is about breaking down barriers, such as those of race, class and between generations, fostering unity and diversity and intentionally empowering everyone to be part of transformative change. Imagine how powerful that could be in our cities,” says Rev Osoba Otaigbe the event’s host. Rev Osoba is the author of Building Cultural Intelligence in Church and Ministry.
CTE General Secretary Bishop Mike Royal, one of the event’s speakers, says: “Some of our most vibrant churches are springing up from global majority communities and there is a huge opportunity to support those churches and ensure they are connected to existing churches in our communities. This conference will help us understand the emerging dynamic.”
The day will explore the biblical mandate and innovative approaches to intercultural mission, as well as offering the opportunity to make connections and pool resources. There will be a number of speakers who will give ‘TED talk’-style presentations. These include:
- Bishop Mike Royal CTE General Secretary
- Andy Frost, Co-CEO Gather Movement
- Nigel Langford, Director of Domestic Missions Bible Society
- Adam Martins, National Director of Intercultural Churches UK
- Olivia Amartey, Executive Director of Elim Pentecostal Church UK & Ireland and Deputy Moderator of the CTE Forum 2025
- Rev Dr Israel Olofinjana, Director of the One People Commission of the Evangelical Alliance
Alongside the presentations and round table conversations, there will also be three interactive workshops:
- Exploring intercultural church and mission for City Transformation
- Welcoming, Belonging and Integrating
- Intercultural Worship