We are looking for an experienced accountant with recent and relevant financial/accounting expertise to join our Finance Committee.
Council of Lutheran Churches is a community of churches coming together to further the work of those Lutheran churches in the UK. Each church is closely linked to the church of its country of origin. Through the Council they have chosen to collaborate in several areas, including promoting fellowship and co-operation amongst Lutherans, promoting Lutheran participation in ecumenical initiatives, and providing student chaplaincy for international students. The Council is looking to expand its services, including grant giving and outreach activities, over the course of the next few years. Contacts to national ecumenical partners and the global Lutheran community are growing and the Council is planning to become more active in issues around climate and racial justice.
About the role
We are looking for a co-opted committee member with recent financial / accounting expertise, with a good understanding of financial matters and accepted good practice in the areas of risks and controls to join our Finance Committee. The Finance Committee plays a vital role in providing assurance to the Board of Trustees in the areas of financial management and risk.
In line with the Finance Committee Terms of Reference, the co-opted member will:
- Review financial performance against plans and budgets.
- Advise on the appointment and reappointment of external auditors.
- Ensure that an effective risk management framework is in place.
- Advise and oversee the management of an effective system of internal controls.
- Attend six Finance Committee meetings a year, some of which are at CLC’s office near Waterloo station and others virtually, as well as any ad hoc Finance Committee meetings as may arise.
You’ll demonstrate the below essential skills:
- Qualified accountant with financial / accounting expertise.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- CLC is a Christian organisation and although it is not essential to be a Christian, you will be willing to work in accordance with our ethos and values.
The role is unremunerated, expenses relating to committee work such as travel expenses will be reimbursed.
If you are interested or would like to find out more please contact our Finance Manager via email: [email protected].